Midatech’s proprietary platform is based on a three-layer gold nanoparticle (GNP) offering significant advantages and flexibility.
Midatech’s GNPs are produced using a one-step self-assembling synthesis of consistently sized, water soluble, stable, passivated nanoparticles. Broadly, this proprietary chemistry yields a wide variety of covalently bound bio-active molecules with precise stoichiomety. The flexibility of the chemistry results in a wide repertoire of nanomedicines for future development.
Targeted cancer therapies that have an improved side effect profile compared to traditional chemotherapy based on drugs which are near or off-patent to combine physician experience with optimized drug properties creates a unique opportunity for all segments of the healthcare equation.
At sizes less than 3.5 nanometers in diameter, the GNPs are well suited for movement into cells and through the walls of blood vessels. Critically, the size of the GNPs fosters their elimination through kidney and biliary clearance. Animal studies to date confirm that there is no accumulation. There is no evidence of toxicity in either animal studies or a phase I human clinical study.
Gold Nanoparticle Layers
- Enables specific targeting to disease tissue and /or cells
- Alteration of bioavailability
- Water soluble
- Modifiable length enables a wider variety of potential payloads
- Multiple layers in a single GNP for Trojan Horse delivery
- Variable linker composition for altered rate and location of delivery
Noble Metal Core
- Healthcare applications currently utilize gold but many metals covered in IP
- Gold is inert and non-toxic
- Super-paramagnetic properties (Hysteresis/Medical Imaging) potential
- Low cost of goods